All prospective bus drivers must obtain a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) in order to drive.
The procedures for obtaining this license are:
1. Take and pass the required physical examination.
Munster schools have an arrangement with the Working Well Clinic to have this DOT physical done at the expense of the School Town of Munster. No appointment is necessary. A pre-employment drug screen is done at the Hammond Clinic.
2. Take and pass the written examinations. These include:
- Passenger Transport Endorsement
These tests may be taken at the local Auto License Branch. Tests may be retaken if necessary until a passing grade is obtained. The applicant is responsible for this cost. No fee is due until the tests are passed.
Copies of the manual may be downloaded from the Indiana BMV website.
3. Obtain a Commercial Driver's License Learning Permit.
This permit allows the candidate to drive a bus only if a CDL licensed driver is present on the bus. The primary purpose of the permit it to allow the new driver to obtain a high enough skill level to pass the skills test.
4. Take and pass the skills test.
The closest skills test site is in Valparaiso, Indiana. The new driver will be accompanied by the trainer and will take one of our buses to the test site and pass the test. Cost of the test will be borne by the School Town of Munster.
5. Attend a 3 Day Preservice Safety Meeting scheduled in the area periodically by the State Department of Education.
A requirement of the State of Indiana's School Traffic Safety Division is the completion of a 32-hour training program. New drivers must attend these sessions and spend at least 4 hours observing and 8 hours driving to qualify for the state's bus driving certificate (separate from the CDL). This certificate must be maintained by attendance at a one-day training session each summer.
New drivers will receive a deferred payment (6 months after completion of all requirements) for all of their training hours.
6. Drivers on the substitute list are expected to make themselves available on our substitute list for at least a year.